CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN WITH MASALA CURRY SAUCE
- 15 ml butter
- 15 ml oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 ml Pakco Mild and Spicy Masala Curry Powder
- 5 ml Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 15 ml all-purpose flour
- 375 ml hot chicken stock
- St Louis salt and black pepper
- 8 Brito’s chicken pieces
- 1 It. water
- 1/2 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 125 ml all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 250 ml Hinds Southern Coating Original
to serve: cooked rice and fresh coriander
- To prepare the sauce, heat the butter and the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry without colouring until softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes more.
- Reduce the heat and add the Pakco Mild and Spicy Masala Curry Powder and the apricot
- jam and stir well to coat.
- Stir in the flour.
- Gradually whisk in the hot chicken stock until a smooth thick sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large saucepan, cover with water and add the onion and bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the chicken pieces well and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Toss the chicken in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then toss in the Hinds Southern Coating until evenly coated.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot over rice with the masala curry sauce.