OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN & POTATOES
- 1 whole Brito’s griller
- 2-3 sprigs each rosemary and thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1kg potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 shallots halved, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Chop up the herbs, peel the garlic cloves and slice them. Make little slits all over the chicken with the tip of your knife and slide the garlic slices into them.
- Prick the lemon with a fork and put it inside the cavity along with the half of the chopped herbs and a clove of sliced garlic.
- Rub the surface of the chicken with olive oil and the other half of the herbs. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Put in the oven in a large roasting pan and set the timer for 40 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking, get the potatoes ready. Wash the potatoes and cut them in half lengthways or in quarters if using large potatoes. Put them in a pot with salted water and bring them to a boil, continue boiling for 7 minutes, then drain in a colander, cover with a lid and set aside
- When the timer for the chicken goes off take it out of the oven, baste it and scatter potatoes around it. Dip a pastry brush in the fat that collected in the roasting pan and brush the potatoes with it.
- Put the pan back in the oven for 60 minutes to 80 minutes, checking from time to time making sure that your potatoes are roasting evenly and turning crispy on the outside.
- 30 minutes before the chicken is finished roasting add shallots if using.
- Take out of the oven when the chicken skin is golden. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.