SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
- 1kg Brito’s stewing beef
- 2 medium-sized carrots, cut into big chunks
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups of beef stock (chicken stock as a substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Brito’s crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons Rhodes tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon St Louis Italian Seasoning/ 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon St Louis black pepper
- 3-4 drops of worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- Parsley leaves (for garnish)
- To prepare beef stew: season beef with salt & black pepper and toss it in flour.
- Heat up oil in a pan and when it is hot, add 1 tbsp of butter. When the butter is completely melted, add your beef and brown on both sides for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove beef and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil, onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add paprika, and tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, add carrot and celery and fry for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add your meat stock, beef, black pepper, salt, Italian seasoning/ thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and then transfer into your slow cooker and cook for at least 6 hours. Before your 6 hours mark is up, taste for seasoning and adjust with salt if needed, add 1 tbsp of butter, stir, cover, and leave to complete cooking time.
- To make mashed potatoes: peel and cut potatoes into small chunks. Bring to a boil and cook until soft and potatoes start to break or fall apart.
- Drain and put potatoes back into the same pot and put on low heat. Mash potatoes for a little bit to let some steam escape, this gives the potatoes some texture. Then add your butter and milk or heavy cream and mash until properly incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper and then mash until all ingredients are properly combined.
- Serve mashed potatoes with beef stew and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!